Join me as I travel across the US and south through Central America.

Green pins = been there
Blue pins = hope to visit

Do you have any favorite spots in this region of the world? I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for visiting!



View Southbound 2010 in a larger map

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Big Bend National Park, Texas



Big Bend was a wonderful surprise. Although I had never heard much about this park, based on a recommendation from a friend in Austin, I decided to spend a few days here. Located in southwest Texas and bordering the Rio Grande River, which separates the US from Mexico, this massive one million-plus acre park boasts beautiful mountain and desert scenery. In just over 24 hours, I encountered deer, birds of prey, lizards, howling coyotes at night, and an array of cacti and desert flora.

My first night camping solo in the truck was a complete success. I was also satisfied with my first bush meals: chicken soup for dinner and bacon, pancakes, and freshly ground french press coffee for breakfast.

March and April are the most popular months to visit as the rains begin in May and the summertime is sweltering. I completely lucked out on this visit; mother nature was kind enough to wait until I left the park before pelting the truck with an early spring rain and hail storm. I was surprised to find out from a local gas station attendant that that was the first rain this year. Welcome to the desert.

1 comment:

  1. Love the updates and the pics. I made the one with the bird my desktop. Keep 'em coming. Later Brother,
    -Wes

    ReplyDelete